Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Molasses Cookies

These cookies were surprisingly yummy.  I'm not a big molasses fan, and I made these for my Dad ....(Sssshhh don't tell him, I mailed them to him for Christmas) but I had to try them before I sent them.  And I couldn't believe how good they were.  So even if you aren't a big fan of molasses you may want to give them a try.  They remind me of a spicy sugar cookie.
(This recipe is adapted from a recipe from Joyofbaking.com, I'm using their picture because I forgot to take one before I packed them up)


2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 cup unsulphured molasses
1 large egg
1 tbsp vanilla

garnish: 1 cup white sugar

With an electric mixer beat the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes.  Add the oil, molasses, egg and vanilla, beat until incorporated.  In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.  Add flour mixture to butter/sugar mixture and beat until well incorporated.  Cover and chill the batter about 2 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 350*, Line baking sheets with parchment paper.

Place 1 cup of sugar in a bowl.

When dough has chilled, roll into 2-3" balls.  I used an ice cream scoop to make my balls.  Roll the balls of dough into the sugar, coating them thoroughly.  Place 4 per sheet.  Flatten cookies slightly with bottom of glass dipped in sugar.  Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the tops of the cookies have crinkles yet are barely dry. They will look a little underdone.  Remove from oven and cool.  Makes 14 large cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment