Monday, May 9, 2011

Beef Stroganoff

Beef Stroganoff is a classic Russian dish that has proved its delicious worth time and time again. You can serve this dish over egg noodles (classic), rice or mashed potatoes.  This is one of my favorites and I've made it many times the "easy" way with cream-of-mushroom soup, but I wanted to make it true to the original recipe and completely homemade. You can use any type of beef from tenderloin to chuck roast, just remember the better the cut of beef the more tender when cooked.  ENJOY!! 

1 pound beef, cut into 2"x 1" x 1/4" strips
Coarse salt and ground pepper
3 Tbsp canola oil (I used olive oil)
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1 pound white mushrooms, sliced 1/2" thick (I used baby bella's)
1 cup reduced-sodium beef broth (I used chicken broth)
1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
Chopped fresh dill for garnish if desired

1. Season beef generously with salt and pepper.  Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over high heat.  Brown meat in two batches, about 1 minute per side; remove from skillet and set aside.
2. In same skillet, heat remaining tablespoon oil over medium heat.  Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally until lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes.  Add mushrooms; cover.  Cook until just tender, 6 to 8 minutes.  Add broth; simmer uncovered until liquid has thickened, 6 to 8 minutes.
3. Stir mustard into mushroom mixture in skillet.  Return beef to skillet; cook over medium-low heat until heated through. 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream.  Season with salt and pepper as desired. Serve immediately, garnished with chopped dill.

Notes:
I minced two cloves of garlic and cooked with my meat for added flavor, I love garlic.
I also cooked my onions longer than suggested, more to a caramelized state, again for more flavor.

Recipe courtesy of Everyday Food.

No comments:

Post a Comment