Monday, May 16, 2011

Smoky BBQ Pork Ribs

Let me first say ..... MMMmmmm MMM these were good ribs!!!
Now, I love BBQ ribs, they are probably one of my favorite anytime foods.  But they are one item I have rarely made.  So when I found this recipe, the ingredients intrigued me and I just had to try it.  And boy am I glad I did.

4 racks of trimmed baby back ribs ( I used a 5.5 lb. rack of spareribs)
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup lightly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup smoked paprika (very important that you use smoked!!)
2 tbsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tbsp dried ancho chile powder
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp garlic powder (this is my addition to the recipe)
2 cups store bought BBQ sauce

Prepare rub by mixing all dry ingredients in a large bowl together well.  Make sure to break up any clumps.  Place ribs on sheet trays and dust all over with rub ensuring to get it in all the cracks.  Place ribs, meat side up, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to marinate for 3 hours or over night.

Remove ribs from fridge and discard plastic.  Place in oven set at 325*.  Cook for 2-1/2 hours until meat is very tender.  Finish under broiler or grill for 5 minutes to caramelize then remove and allow to cool slightly.

Serve with BBQ sauce.

Notes:
I hate the broiler and it was raining, so I did not put the ribs on the grill to finish.  I just basted with sauce and let sit in the oven for 20-30 minutes with heat off.
I used Kroger brand KC style hickory smoke sauce and I added some brown sugar to it, and it turned out really good.

Recipe courtesy of Kitchendaily

No comments:

Post a Comment